Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A New Home, A New Life

Here I am, all of a sudden, in Austin, Texas. I just got back a little more than a week ago from my semester abroad in the UK. Which, might I add, was life-changing. I think about London and my experiences there every day, if i can help it. But things are different now. Am I that different now? Let's find out:

My parents helped me find an apartment pretty quick here, and it just so happened to work out that I would have a place to live strictly for three months. I moved here to be close to my new (and highly-anticipated) internship at Castle Media Group. I started work yesterday.

The initial transition to the apartment was pretty hard. I still don't think of it as a "home" yet. When I got here none of the roommates were there to meet or greet me; the girl who's room I would be usurping left pretty quickly and left a lot of stuff. And dirt. I can't begin to tell you how disgusting it was when i first got here. No trash taken out, dishes on the stove, dirt everywhere, and a whole lot of TLC (and deep cleaning) was overdue for the carpet. Needless to say, it was less than thrilling. But we live and make do.

First day of work was crazy. My supervisor, Sam, who I could not wait to meet, was late over an hour to work because of a bus trip gone south. It took her an hour away in the wrong direction! So she finally got to work just as I had been settling in and doing all the initial "intern" sign-up work. Sam let me share her office; and her laptop. I told her I would be getting Photoshop CS6 soon, hopefully, so in the meantime I was to use her backup computer.

Lunch was a disaster. I told Sam I loved Freebirds Burritos and she did too, so she told me how to get there. It should have been a 15-20 minute trip there and the same back. I took like an hour and a half almost exactly. I can't tell you how many times I got turned around...I almost cried but just decided I was going to find my way back anyways, so I just held on and kept finding ways how not to get back to work. Forty minutes and two cold burritos later, I made it back. I was so stressed, I felt so frazzled inside the whole day long even back to the apartment! I came back to go to sleep early and my roommates were talking about some crazy show about a girl making a devil's deal or something, which not only horrified me but kept me up until they were done talking. Day one, you have thrown your punches. Next day that comes will be a good one, I have decided, because I will start it out with a heart of thanksgiving and praise. God is so good, He gave me this job and new home for a reason. Its not to build my own kingdom, thats for sure-- I am learning more and more to rely on His strength and wisdom and might alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment